Family Planning Doctor in Beckley, WV
Family planning refers to a person’s or a couple’s ability to determine the size and spacing between children to considerably improve health and attain the desired number of children. Our board-certified doctor in internal medicine, Dr. Elizabeth Thompson Nelson, MD, help people to prevent pregnancies by using contraceptive services and methods such as hormonal method, intrauterine device, barrier method, and pills. Family planning helps couples to avoid unintended pregnancies. reduce STDs, reduce the rate of infertility, and reduce the spread of potentially life-threatening illnesses. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 2401 South Kanawha Street, Ste 100, Beckley, WV 25801.
Table of Contents:
The purpose of family planning is to provide individuals and couples with the information, tools, and services necessary to make informed decisions about their reproductive health and to achieve their desired family size. This includes providing access to a range of contraceptive methods, such as hormonal methods, intrauterine devices, and barrier methods, as well as education and counseling on fertility awareness and natural family planning.
Family planning can help to prevent unintended pregnancies. It can also improve maternal and infant health by spacing pregnancies and allowing women adequate time to recover between child births. Additionally, it can help to reduce the risk of certain health conditions, such as pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility, that can be caused by unprotected sex or frequent pregnancies.
Family planning is essential for several reasons:
– Improving maternal and child health: Family planning assists in reducing maternal and infant mortality by allowing women to space out their pregnancies and have adequate time to recover between them. It can also improve the health of both mothers and children by reducing the risk of certain health conditions, such as anemia and infection, that can be caused by frequent pregnancies.
– Improving quality of life: Family planning can improve the quality of life for individuals and families by allowing them to make informed decisions about their reproductive health and to achieve their desired family size.
– Empowering women: Family planning gives women more control over their reproductive health and allows them to participate more in education, employment, and other aspects of their lives.
– Reducing maternal and infant deaths: By providing access to maternal and child health services as well as family planning, maternal and infant deaths can be reduced.
– Improving sexual and reproductive health: Family planning can help to reduce the risk of certain health conditions, such as pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility, that can be caused by unprotected sex or frequent pregnancies.
There are many methods of family planning available, but two of the most important and widely used methods are:
– Contraception: This method involves using various devices or medications to prevent pregnancy. Some examples of contraception methods include hormonal methods, such as the birth control pill, and intrauterine devices (IUDs). Barrier methods, such as condoms and diaphragms, also fall under this category.
– Fertility awareness methods: This method involves monitoring and understanding a person’s fertility signs to identify the days of the month when they are most likely to conceive. This method includes natural family planning, which involves tracking changes in cervical mucus, basal body temperature, and cervical position to identify the fertile days of the menstrual cycle.
Both methods have their own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s very important to consult a healthcare provider to find the most appropriate method that fits your lifestyles and personal preference. The healthcare provider will give you guidance on how to use your chosen method effectively.
A family planning program includes a range of services and activities that are designed to help individuals and couples make informed decisions about their reproductive health. Some of the key components of a family planning program may include:
– Education and counseling: This includes providing information on various methods of family planning, such as contraception and fertility awareness, as well as counseling on how to use these methods effectively.
– Access to a range of contraceptive methods: This includes providing access to a variety of contraceptive methods, such as hormonal methods, intrauterine devices (IUDs), and barrier methods, as well as ensuring that these methods are available and affordable.
– Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs): This includes testing and treatment for STIs such as HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, and providing education on how to prevent STIs.
– Maternal and child health services: This includes providing services such as prenatal care, delivery care, and postpartum care, as well as child health services such as immunizations and nutrition education.
For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 2401 South Kanawha Street, Ste 100, Beckley, WV 25801. We serve patients from Beckley WV, Bradley WV, Daniels WV, Shady Spring WV, Sophia WV, Macarthur WV, Mount Hope WV, Lester WV, Stanaford WV, Baylor WV, Beaver WV, and surrounding areas.
We will take a thorough history, make recommendations and start prenatal vitamins if you are considering pregnancy. We prescribe birth control, but do not insert IUDs or implants. We do recommend a local OBGYN for pregnancy planning or other GYN procedures you may need.